9.8.11

The Dark Power - review by Grizzly
















"Die you corpse"

Everything about it screams terrible. And yet I loved it.


Sometimes the cheese-line is a fine-line, and The Dark Power (imdb) straddles this line: Is it so bad its good? Or so bad I fell asleep? As I mentioned, I loved it so I'm voting the former - though I don't know what Old Snouty would make of it.

The Dark Power is some ultra-low budget 1985 action in which four zombie Toltec priests rise from the grave and "torment" a country-side cabin full of good old American college students.

Picture Evil Dead with zombies straight from the set of Monkey Magic:














Mixed in with some nicely placed boob and a "in my panties" kitchen aerobics sequence:













Overall these highlights somehow (clearly ! - ed) make up for the myriad low-lights.

Despite a terrible pacing, lack of acting ability and limited scenes of genuine gore, The Dark Power is captivating in its sincerity and fun. When the zombies finally appear (50 minutes later) the cheese factor on this baby goes through the roof.

There is also the considerable fact that The Dark Power culminates with an EPIC Man Vs Zombie Whip Battle (and when I say epic I mean EPIC; the linked footage here is only half the battle).

Nuff said.















No comments: